Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How We Count Money

I struggled with this last year but this year this seems to be a great method and it's working for my kids so I thought I would share.  I'm sure many of you out there do this.  Counting money and time are 2 of the things in Math that make me groan out loud literally!  The kids are so excited about it though so that makes it bearable :)

 
I give the kids some coins to look at.  I tell them that we are going to give them a new hairdo.  The kids look at me like I'm slightly crazy but I tell them that this will help them count their money.  I tell them for every 5 cents in a coin we are going to give that coin a hair on top of its head.  We then go through and count how many hairs each coin has.  Quarter-5 Dime-2 and a Nickel-5.  A Penny does not get any hairs because it doesn't have 5 cents in it.  So the coins should look like the image below
 
 
 
Then all the kids have to do is count the hairs (by 5s) and they should come up with the correct amount.  Of course I have my kids that can actually count the coins and come up with the correct answer I still make them do this I just think it helps them check their answers.  For those who do that hehe!
 
 
We are tackling time this week and I think I am going to have them make paper plate clocks.  I found a new one on pinterest that I want to try with them.  Hopefully I can get them outside and do one with sidewalk chalk or something fun like that :)

1 comment:

  1. We do something similar to this. We use touch points (from Touch Math). It really helps!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete